Graduate Employability Project at Ahmadu Bello University Zaria Nigeria
The Graduate Employability Scheme is a flagship project of NSI in collaboration with the other partner organizations. The aim of this project is to enhance the skills, understandings and personal attributes of African graduates to make them more likely to gain employment and be successful in their chosen occupations. This will benefit themselves, the employer, the community and the economy.
Ahmadu Bello University Zaria Nigeria is one of the largest universities in Africa. In February 2014, Ahmadu Bello University Zaria Nigeria engaged a consortium of consultants led by NSI to establish the Continuous Professional Development Unit in the University. The major objectives of this two-year project include enhancing graduate employability and fostering university-industry integration.
Since its engagement, NSI carried out several activities towards realizing these objectives. These activities include professional trainings, certification programs, workshops, seminars and collaborations with international companies.
Over a period of 18 months, the following activities were undertaken with a very successful outcome:
- Modern tools and skills of Empirical Research. 50 Doctoral and Masters research students.
- Computational Methods in Model-Based System-Level Design for Engineering: 50 Engineering Doctoral and Masters research students trained by MapleSoft Inc.
- Quantitative Data Analysis, Financial Modelling and Forecasting. 75 Lecturers, Doctoral and Masters research students.
- Professional Training and Certification Program on NEBOSH IGC. 150 undergraduates trained by SHEilds UK
- CPD Flag-Off Seminar titled “Positioning the Academic Institutions to meet the challenges of the 21st Century Industry Demands. The role of CPD”
- Workshop on Professional Certifications to Enhance Graduate Employability
- Workshop on Teaching Concepts with Formative e-Assessment
- Workshop series on Effective Resume Writing and Job Interviews
- Establishment of ABU Centre for Excellence in Health and Safety
- Establishment of the Center for Data Analysis and Financial Modelling
- SHEilds-trained ABU students Engaged as university Safety Officers
- ABU Financial Market and Investment Analysis System
The CPD has over the past one year recorded the following impacts
- Increased awareness and consequent integration of the academic and professional mindset in the university.
- Increases awareness on international best-practices for research and teaching
- More individuals within the university now working with modern skills and tools for research and teaching.
- More students becoming aware of and undertaking professional certification programs to enhance their employability and career progression.
- The CPD created a system to offer students the opportunity for work experience to enhance their employability.
- With the ABU Center for HSE, the workplaces are becoming safer with reduced chances of accidents and safety hazards.
- The ABU Financial Market Analysis system and the training have greatly enhanced the research skills of participants to become more in sync with industry realities and challenges.
- Some participants have started publishing their research in highly rated international Journals.
- The ABU graduates are becoming exposed to the relevant skills to break into the labour market: CV writing and Job Interviews.