…in association with
The Next Step Initiative entered into a strategic Partnership with the Wheatly Group to form the African Housing Forum Scotland.
The Wheatley Group is Scotland’s leading housing, community regeneration and care group. The Wheatley Group comprises:
- Scotland’s largest social landlord, Glasgow Housing Association;
- Cube Housing Association with 3300 affordable homes across the West of Scotland;
- Scotland’s ‘Feel Good Factor’, YourPlace Property Management;
- Lowther Homes, with affordable homes to rent from Glasgow’s West End to Leith;
- West Lothian Housing Partnership owns and manages 381 homes in West Lothian.
The purpose of the Next Step Initiative and Wheatley Group Partnership is to look at better involvement and engagement of the African Communities/tenants living within Wheatley Group properties.
This community involvement is about directly involving our communities, in the everyday issues that affect them. It involves research, consultation, participation of the whole range of stakeholders, like the Center For African Policy and Research and Development Scotland and African Forum Scotland.
This action plan should therefore help both Wheatley Group and the African Communities/households/tenants within Wheatley Group to be better informed, and therefore contribute to better decision-making, help improve services and standards within Wheatley Group as well as developing the skills and opportunities within the African Communities/tenants living in the Wheatley group/properties.
The Action Plan for this project was developed in partnership with the African Communities/tenants living within Wheatley Group properties, NSI and Wheatley Group. Hence the actions contained within it reflect the community’s aspirations, needs and support.
The Objectives of this project include:
- Improve Wheatley Group services by ensuring they are better tailored to meet the needs and aspirations of to the African Communities/households/tenants living within Wheatley Group accommodation
- Enhance accountability to the African residents and communities living within Wheatley Group stocks by establishing a voice for the Africa Communities/tenants via The African Housing Forum
- Enable African residents and African Communities within Wheatley Group accommodation to enhance their skills, competence and quality of life via the Internship Programme
- Build Social Capital within the African community for the overall benefit of the wider Wheatley Group community
- Develop a better community relations and trust between African tenants/communities and Wheatley Group
- Ensure the African communities/tenants needs and aspirations within Wheatley Group are reflected in the development and implementation of plans and strategies of Wheatley Group
- The partnership will enable joined-up thinking to tackle more effectively the issues the African Communities/tenants living within Wheatley Group are facing, thereby improving the quality of life.
Some pictures of the inauguration ceremony at NSI conference hall